Wednesday, June 29, 2011

packing. yikes.

While I should be packing, I've decided instead to write a blog post about it. Our guest bedroom looks like some sort of cycle-touring bomb went off in it right now:


So, what the hell do we bring? I'm still not entirely sure, but I'll do my best. As I've mentioned, we'll each have two panniers on the rear racks of our bikes. In them, we'll hold our clothes, toiletries, first aid equipment, extra food, tools, extra tubes, rain covers, hats and gloves, a modest supply of Clif Bars and Gu, our cameras, phones, wallets, my Kindle (yes, I got a Kindle specifically for this trip - seems the only reasonable use for one, to be honest), towels, shoes, maps, and I'm also bringing a Frisbee - you never know when you'll need one. We'll have our sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and pillows in a waterproof bag strapped on top of the rear rack. Aaron is carrying the tent, y'know, since I'm carrying the Frisbee.

If you want a better breakdown of the clothing situation, here it is, give or take:
  • 3 pairs of bike shorts
  • 3 biking shirts
  • 3 sports bras
  • 1 pair of biking gloves
  • 6 pairs of socks
  • Assorted undergarments
  • 1 pair of jeans
  • 1 pair of shorts
  • 1 jean skirt
  • 1 "nicer" skirt (it folds real small, okay? Give me a break)
  • 1 pair of flip flops
  • 1 pair of sneakers
  • 1 pair of cycling shoes
  • 4 tank tops
  • 2 t-shirts
  • 1 thermal shirt
  • 1 long-sleeve wicking shirt
  • 1 fleece hoodie
  • 1 rain jacket
  • 1 awesome Boston Celtics sweatband
 [Note that I have no idea what Aaron has packed. Probably his Crazy Eddie t-shirt and a pair of grubby cargo shorts for all I know.] Seems like my list is quite long when I type it all out, but it fits comfortably in one pannier. I'll also load that pannier with my bike lock to give it some weight, I think. It'll be bulky, but not too heavy. I'll think otherwise when I'm sobbing my way up a series of hills. By the way, if you want specs on my panniers, take a look here - and note that my buddy Steve, who we'll be seeing when we pass through Massillon, Ohio in a few short days, has graciously lent me his set for the trip.

We decided to forgo front racks for our bikes, figuring we could get all we need in the rear. We'll need to be crafty about carrying extra food and water when we reach more desolate areas out west, but our steering and balance will be less compromised without the extra weight in front. Hopefully, this will remain a good decision to have made. 

I can't give more specifics on tools and other gear at this time because I don't know what tools and other gear I'll be carrying. Have I mentioned that Aaron is the Director of Logistics for the trip? I do know that Aaron has taken to referring to just about everything associated with the trip as "gear." I want to tell him, "That's not gear. That's a sock," but I keep my mouth shut. Best to just let it lie, I figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment